Nno, Welcome, Ola,

I visited Nigeria in 2006 and was bitten by a bug called High Infant Mortality Rate. I read about the issue in a local news paper in Abuja. This information was buttressed while on holidays in my father's village (Nnewi); an elderly woman informed my cousin and I of 2 infant deaths that Christmas week from childhood preventable illnesses. I was aghast. I sat down, dumfounded, then a flashback of I (as a child), at the end of civil war, women carrying their dying babies of kwashiorkor to my father's compound seeking relief; food, water, medicine anything to help their infants. In 2007 I returned to finish my graduate school in Public Health and my community health class provided a platform to research infant mortality rate. Hence, I wrote a paper on it, and proposed a three year strategic pyramid solution.

This blog is about being part of the solution:
(a) bringing the issue to bear
(b) envisioning seamless integrated strategies
(c) visualizing adapting innovative, sustainable solutions to mitigate variables that give rise to high infant deaths.

At issue is the continent of Africa. Some may say I gave money to Africa, yes you did but in reality you gave money for a project in Mali, or Sierra Leone or Liberia. That is 3 countries out of 50. From my research, high infant morality rate in SSA is attracting international, national and individual researchers seeking effective methods in implementing sustainable measures or solutions towards reversing the numbers. I am suggesting that more man power is needed to combat the problem at least in Nigeria.

http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/MDG_FS_4_EN.pdf



Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Best "AIDS Walk Los Angeles" so far-October 17th 2010

Sub Title: What is Wrong with Nigeria and What is Beautiful about Nigeria.

My cause is high infant mortality rate. However I support other causes as well, one being AIDS Walk Los Angeles. I used to raise money for them, but it has been difficult lately.  This year a team-fraternity invited me to join them on the walk. The team leader instructed me to arrive at the AIDS Walk by 7:30 a.m. which I did.  At 8:00 a.m. the group stand was empty. At 8:30 a.m. I telephoned the group leader only to learn they were on La Cienega Blvd. navigating traffic, "please hold our table for us... hold our table for us please..." he pleaded.  At 8:45 a.m. I called again, "calm down calm down calm down we are coming we would soon be there..." he said.  At 9:00 a.m. AIDS Walk festivities were over, warm up began, and the early walkers took off (this is when I normally start my walk).  Meanwhile the only thing my daughter cared about was being on the play ground ("the park" she calls it), and not being there elicited crying. So I ran between the playground and the group stand, as I watched group after group, gather, chat, eat breakfast and disperse.  At 9:20 a.m. I contemplated walking by myself.  At 9:28 a.m. the "boys" arrived with few female spouses. They were gracious and thankful I showed up on time. They took ubiquitous pictures. And the leader left to turn in the raised funds. Thus, I used this time to ask how come their late arrival? The answers varied.  Some said they were on a caravan.  Some said "you come at 7:00 a.m. and you have to wait".  "I am a Nigerian, I am always late... " and I would be late, said a family man I met at a child's birthday party the  previous night.  The leader returned with gifts from AIDS Walk in proportion to the amount raised and we took off for the 10k.

I could not believe my eyes and ears. I was transformed. My feelings went from disappointment and anger, to joy, happiness and euphoria.  From the time we started the walk till we completed the walk, this group of Nigerian fraternity men played traditional music using traditional instruments such as drums, shells, and a sing along. It was unbelievable. The participation was very lively. The group attracted attention due to the native music and dance. Journalists and ordinary folks took pictures. What a beautiful experience.  It was a joyous occasion. An ordinary 10k walk was transformed into an extraordinary 10k festival. Most importantly, my daughter slept most of the time due to the music.  She did not to leave her stroller and walk part of the kilometer which she did at one year old and two years old.  For that I was very grateful.  I even partook on playing an instrument. That was generous of a team full of men.  It was exciting.  At the end of the walk, the team did not receive certificates because AIDS Walk ran out. An unintended consequences of lateness. That was new to me. I never knew they ran out of certificates because I normally finish early. We culminated the walk at a restaurant for lunch.  So, I experienced an old comment "Nigerians are one of the happiest people" on earth. I also experienced what is wrong with Nigeria.  Nigerians are perpetually late to events, seem not to give a damn, then justify it, and be gracious about it at the same time. However, when engaged in that event they give it their best. And by the end of the day, the event comes out beautiful, colorful and gracious.  I suggest that if the country and her people would stop being late to events they might achieve a lot more like China, India, Indonesia and Malaysia. And might possess the wherewithal to reverse high infant mortality rate in their country.

1 comment:

  1. What an astute observation: "I suggest that if the country and her people would stop being late to events they might achieve a lot more like China, India, Indonesia and Malaysia. And might possess the wherewithal to reverse high infant mortality rate in their country."

    Cheers,
    If

    ReplyDelete